Although the TYTING LINE has only two points, both of dubious provenance, it is of interest in that it is thirty degrees east of the SOUTH LINE mirroring the COMPTON LINE which is thirty degrees west of the SOUTH LINE. And the point 152/5 within the building of Chilworth Manor is 5DM from Whitmoor, as is Newlands Corner Barrow twenty degrees east at 132/5 on the NEWLANDS LINE.
Chilworth Manor is shown on older Ordnance Survey maps as the site of a Priory Cell. There is a persistent legend that this was a monastic site but there is little to substantiate this. There is certainly no record in the Domesday Book. Legend has it that it belonged to Newark Priory near Ripley and Augustinian Canons lived there and sometimes officiated at nearby St Martha’s Church. Chilworth Manor was supposedly part of the patrimony of Newark Priory and fell into disuse during the Reformation. There is nothing older than the 17th century in the current manor building but it is extraordinary that the point 152/6 is so accurately placed within the fabric of the oldest part of the building. Further research is needed.
This is a strange place – a deserted farm. The 14th century chapel stood just to the south of the ruinous 1960s dairy buildings and was incorporated into the farmhouse of Tyting Farm when it was rebuilt in 1609, firstly as a kitchen and later, when the house became a private residence known as Tyting House, as a dining room. In 1942 both Tyting House and Tyting Farm were acquired by the council from the Duke of Northumberland Estate to prevent undesirable development but shortly after was requisitioned by the War Department as a training establishment for spies, possibly associated with the secret SOS base at Wanborough Manor (See Crooksbury Line). Tyting House was demolished in 1957, together with the historic chapel. The site was in a dire state and the whole farm, including an historic barn, was razed to the ground and a modern dairy unit constructed.
The alignment (Line 152) passes through the turning area in front of the boarded-up house ‘Tyting Rise’ some twenty nine metres from the Ancient Monument symbol. The stone retaining wall to the turning area can be seen in the bottom photograph.
TYTING MOUND (See plan above)
Labelled as a tumulus by the Ordnance Survey and certainly having the appearance of one. It has, as far as I know, never been excavated and some opinions suggest the possibility that this is a landscape feature of the 18th century. Usually these features were planted with pines or firs and these old stumps would support that argument. Nonetheless it was amongst the first earthworks in Surrey to be protected as an Ancient Monument.